Check out my lamps!
Here’s a shot of the lamps before – formerly of the living room, moved in their green state to reside in the bedroom.
I bought three packets of rope from the Home Depot, each 50 feet long, $7.98 each. At first I thought one package would do it, 50′ sounded like a lot of feet! I am so very bad at math. But I bought two packages in case. Because I know I am very bad at math.
This is how painfully close one package of rope got me. That right there is 50 feet. Shocker. I know. I had to go back and buy another package of rope. Because I am worse at math than I thought. Sigh.
I have maybe 10 feet left. I hoped to have the rope left-overs fashioned into something amazing to act like I had it planned all along, but suffice it to say this didn’t happen yet- but it will, I’m pretty sure.
The how-to is so simple I didn’t really bother with many pictures. All I did was wrap the rope around and around, adding blobs of glue gun glue as I went. I started gluing the rope at the back by the cord. On my lamps, there is a rib every couple of inches, and I aimed the glue for them. I did learn by the second lamp that a push, blob, push method was effective in keeping the rope tight against the previous row and held well to the rope (and listening to 60’s French pop music in the sunshine while winding the rope was tres fun too).
Let me say that as fab as they look and as hard as it is to refrain from hugging your beautiful new lamp, don’t. Very prickly- trust me. And also surprisingly stinky. Not horrible, and the smell is fading more every day but I wanted to give you the heads up on that. No unnecessary surprises for you. The great thing for me is that once I grow tired of this look or want to use these lamps in their original glory, I just have to pull and unwind. And then I’ll have 100 feet of rope again, no wait, it would be, lets see, 50′ x 2 plus about …well never mind. I won’t embarrass myself any further. You get my drift.