I made this headboard a few years ago. The fabric was an attempt to just get the darn thing done, and I never liked it. I covered over it a few times with this and that, but none of them seemed quite right either. I thought I might tackle it again, and on a trip to Homesense, I thought I might have found an answer with these tablecloths:
I draped each one on the headboard:
Nice pattern and colour, but horrible polyester and too narrow.
I love the idea of this one, but overall it’s just too much.
Love the drama, but again just too too.
I reverted back to my roots at the Home Depot:
I admit I would have preferred the colour to be less taupe and more cream, but the price is right (door number 3, please) $14.00 – and I could do whatever I wanted to it. And what I wanted was peace and solace at bedtime when all the worries of my life tend to bombard me, so I turned to scripture. If you don’t dig that, you can quote Dr. Suess, song lyrics or 50 Shades of Cat Dander. Whatever you want.
You can do the math and figure out where to start, where it will end and how big you should write. You know I didn’t bother, don’t you? And yet, it finished at the end of the passage. Meant to be.
Let me interject here. You will not see all the writing, EVER. You can write it so you have a border to staple and not miss the view of the words, but the pillows will be in the way at the end anyway, so if it isn’t as perfect as you might like, (bad spelling, drips and blobs, crooked lines) no big deal, it can still look great when you make up the bed real purty like.
I just used craft paint watered down a teeny bit to make the writing more fluid. It takes a bit of time to go over the letters, but I worked on it here and there when I had some time. Overall, not Rocket Science (or math, MY way anyway – Hallelujah!). And a side note to the dropcloth fabricators out there – should the paint have leaked through to the table? I think not. BUT IT DID…you failed your only real job, dropcloth (but I still love you).
Make sure, if your headboard has cleats like my headboard, that you place the headboard on the fabric facing the right way before you start stapling. And miracle of miracles, I noticed mine was upside down before the first staple. Though, I would have still rocked it!
I lowered the cleats on the wall about half a foot to give a different feel to the overall look.
If you are interested in the Board and Batten wall technique I used, click here, if you are interested in how I made the rope lamps, click here or the potato print bench at the end of the bed, click here and if you want to see how I gathered silk worms, collected the silk and wove it into my bedspread, click here – just joshing- it’s from West Elm!